PATH : African Human Trypanosomiasis (HAT) elimination Project Officer
[ 21-11-2016 ]
African Human Trypanosomiasis (HAT) elimination Project Officer
Tracking Code : 7813
PATH is an international organization that drives transformative innovation to save lives and improve health, especially among women and children. We accelerate innovation across five platforms—vaccines, drugs, diagnostics, devices, and system and service innovations—that harness our entrepreneurial insight, scientific and public health expertise, and passion for health equity. By mobilizing partners around the world, we take innovation to scale, working alongside countries primarily in Africa and Asia to tackle their greatest health needs. Together, we deliver measurable results that disrupt the cycle of poor health. Learn more at www.path.org .
PATH works to improve global health by increasing awareness and support of global health priorities by governments, policymakers, coalitions, and other influential individuals and groups. The HAT Department is seeking a Project Officer to be based in Kinshasa to support the Ministry of Public Health in the area of African Human Trypanosomiasis (HAT) elimination in Democratic Republic of Congo. This position will report to the Deputy Country Director, Technical in PATH’s Kinshasa, office. The HAT Project Officer will be responsible for supporting the MoH in developing their HAT multi-year strategic plans, their annual work plans and during implementing their activities in the provinces targeted by the project. The HAT project officer will assist the government in developing communications and policy assessment that examines existing HAT knowledge and attitudes among key decision-makers and stakeholders ; current communications approaches and materials related to the HAT program and their effectiveness ; and areas where policies, programs, and financing need to be strengthened or modified to achieve HAT elimination.
In collaboration with advocacy and technical experts across PATH, the Advocacy Officer is responsible for :
- Supporting the Ministry of Public Health in :
- Developing the HAT Multi-Year Strategic Plan and tools for monitoring and evaluation ;
- Developing an advocacy strategy and corresponding activities to advance specific policy change in support of efforts towards HAT elimination in DRC ;
- Developing communication strategy to mobilize communities in the project area and location ;
- Informing national level policy efforts with lessons and information learned at the provincial level.
- Developing strategic relationships with targeted policy makers, government and ministerial officials and staff, as well as key opinion leaders to promote increased political will towards HAT elimination.
- Cultivating partnerships and networks with key actors, stakeholders, and partners working in the area of HAT, including members of Parliament, religious leaders, multilateral and private sector entities, NGO and civil society representatives, taskforces, professional associations, and research organizations, to maximize impact and enhanced coordination of efforts related to HAT elimination ;
- Collaborating with advocacy and communication specialists, across PATH to develop and produce innovative advocacy materials and dissemination approaches to effectively promote priority policy changes to key policymakers and other external audiences.
- Coordinating and planning events, including meetings, workshops, forums, trainings, and conferences as needed to make progress with prioritized policy changes.
- Supporting local organizations to engage with program implementers and decision makers to mobilize advocacy agendas.
- Contributing to the development and dissemination of HAT lessons learned.
- Tracking of reporting requirements and participating report preparation as necessary.
Required Skills and Experience :
- Demonstrated ability to communicate (orally and in writing) complex issues in a concise, compelling, and easily understandable manner, including the ability to analyze and draft policy ;
- Demonstrated success in influencing health related issue at the national or provincial levels ;
- Demonstrated success planning and coordinating HAT activities to support the elimination initiative goal ;
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating groups from a variety of sectors or levels.
- Proven ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with government personnel, NGO partners, and international organizations on HAT ;
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of the political, social, economic, and cultural context of Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Programmatic understanding of HAT and related work in the NTD sector in DRC.
- Expert computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Willingness to travel, as necessary, both nationally and internationally.
- Fluency in French and local dialects required as well as fluency in English
Medical Doctor Diploma with master in Public Health or Epidemiology, seven to ten years of relevant work experience, or equivalent combination of medical school education and work experience. Master’s degree in Public/Community Health and long experience in Disease control for health impact. Prior work in HAT program at national level preferred.
Job Location : Kinshasa, Kinshasa, Congo - Kinshasa
Company Location : DR Congo, Kinshasa
Position Type : Full-Time/Regular
Click Here To Apply